kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

May I say a word, or 2, or 3 >>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chuckwalla Forum ]

Posted by JJFeldner on February 01, 2003 at 18:24:42:

In Reply to: Thankyou for the information Peter............ posted by tgreb on January 30, 2003 at 10:13:16:

I am not sure that species such as S. varius, S. hispidus or P. thalassinus require brumation at all. According to Grismer, 2002, S. varius is active year round. Tell me, if you had a Ctenosaur, would you brumate the lizard? I would not. Grismer also says S. hispidus "General activity is very low from late October to February, although if temperatures are high enough, adults emerge to bask."
Grismer says about P. thalassinus that it is active year round which is what I would have suspected.
Tom, had I known you were even thinking of trying to brumate those animals, I would have strongly advised against. Even the P. thalassinus which live at 2,000 m should be able to be active most days in the winter months when temperate zone reptiles are hibernating.
Now, I have kept P. mearnsi and I am sure even the ones from Baja do brumate to some degree. They certainly do in the Peninsular ranges in CA but, again, they may be out when the temps are high as they were this week - in the 90's in the low desert.

Another little report: Brian Hubbs told me I was full of s#!† when I told him that chucks were frequently seen basking on calm, sunny days even in the Mojave. He called me day before yesterday to apologize and say that he had been in the South Mountain Preserve and saw a large, male chuck fully out on a rock and basking at 3:45 PM local time. Unfortunately, he did not have a thermometer to take substrate temps, etc. Of course, it was a reported 85º F at that time.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chuckwalla Forum ]