kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

You're right Tom, this is the best forum overall (IMO)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chuckwalla Forum ]

Posted by Pennebaker on February 01, 2003 at 02:40:06:

In Reply to: Thankyou for the information Peter............ posted by tgreb on January 30, 2003 at 10:13:16:

Everything i've been hearing on the grapevine is that this forum could become an anomoly. So many great discussions here without all the inclusive cliques, meatheads and purists. Hard to find nowadays.
From what i'm hearing here, i'm sure glad i pulled my petros inside early. When the petros began to lose weight, which didn't take long with 40-60 temps, i pulled em' in.
Until this recent warming trend, none of my petros had eaten substantially for 2 months. I just looked at them today and even the female is starting to put on a belly. Sheww! These bandeds have been tough to acclimate.
I've definitley been restructuring my brumating strategies this year too, Tom. I'm really starting to believe that most lizards get the point without months of sub-standard temps. I've always brumated pretty 'hard'.
I'm still a bit puzzled by my obesus. I've put-down numerous different species that do not brumate naturally, even wild-caught ones. I didn't think i was going to have issues with a species that does brumate naturally. And, they were so fat.
live and learn
Glad this forum exists, has stayed consistent and that people actually tolerate my incessant rambling here(i hope)LOL.
loren (AKA french-fry boy)

:This forum I think is the best out of all of them. We have a great bunch of knowledgeable people to contribute without the egos. I do believe you are right. I hibernated the animals too cold. I assumed they could take it and I was wrong. I have a good friend that used to breed a lot of petros, he also bred crotaphytus so I assumed he did them the same. I did not find out until after I killed the pair that he experienced the same thing and changed his plan to exactly the way you mentioned in your post. I will for sure do things different next season.

: Also you heard right about the morning fog. I guess it completely engulfs the island in the morning. I also talked with the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum and they mist their outdoor enclosures daily from April to October.

: A good place to get temps is Weather Underground wunderground.com. I have been monitoring for almost a month now for San Felipe, LaPaz and Guaymas and I don't think I saw the night temps under fifty and the day temps from 68-85F. I also check the Camp Gecko website that is located right on Bahia De LosAngeles. The Doc gives weather and fishing reports. He said this was an unually warm winter with highs regularly in the upper 70's and 80's.

: Also Peter I will comunicate with you personally on some other info I need. Thanks again, Tom

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Chuckwalla Forum ]