kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I wasn't talking to you...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]

Posted by Chris Anderson on June 21, 2002 at 17:15:26:

In Reply to: Re: I wasn't talking to you... posted by Johneod on June 21, 2002 at 14:51:46:

: : : : : chameleons with no ears can hear? Amazing. I only hope no one has taken your posts serious. A lot of harm can come from multiple housing bro.

: : : : Yes chameleons can hear to a certain extent regardless of the fact that they have no actual ear openings. They are known to make and probably hear low frequency sound that we often pick up as vibration or buzzing. Go to http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/5014/hoot.html to see a study about this is Ch. calyptratus. Additionally, low frequency sound waves (wind instuments, bass guitar, etc.) are known to irritate chameleons.
: : : : Chris

: : : What are u talking about bro. Who was right i new chameleons werent death i new they could hear to some extent. Also i have a pair of jacksons in a huge cage, their fine together ive never ever seen them fight or hiss at one another. Also the only reason theyre in the same cage rite now is because im trying to breed them. So y dont u chill.

: : Alex,
: : I was clarrifying that they do infact hear because Johneod and Paul didn't seem to think so (at least that is how I interpreted Paul's post, correct me if i'm wrong). I know you said that they could hear but you were told that you were wrong so I was making it clear that they did. As for cohabitation of your animals, I didn't say anything about it, Paul did, but i'm glad to hear that the cage is large and that they are only together for breeding. Keep a close eye on them!
: : Chris

: To clarify in my post I said they might be able to hear ULF (ultra low frequency) but that I hadn’t seen any studies. I have seen that link you posted but it’s not really a study of whether they can hear but of whether they can make sound. In the article it states that they (the authors) think the sound itself is used to vibrate a branch on which a rival or a potential mate is, and that this is used as a sign or signal. This is basically the same as a study I have seen on snakes, snakes are known to be deaf but almost all of them hiss or huff and puff, no one is really sure why. But most people who have studied this feel that it’s the vibration that the hiss or rattle makes that is felt by the other snakes. So unless you have another link or a study to prove chams can hear I stand by my statement.

: Johneod

Johneod,
I wasn't sure what you were refering to by ULF but now that I know, the second sentence of my original post pretty much says what I think you were getting at. While there have been no formal studies on the actual hearing of chameleons that I know of, it is generally thought that chameleons are able to "hear" or better, detect these low frequency sounds. I would suspect that due to the fact that certain aspects of the chameleon "ear" are capable of minimal hearing, even in the absence of other parts of a typical ear, that they are able to pick up a limited amount of air-born sound waves. Naturally, I'm sure vibrations traveling though an object, like a branch, would be received by the chameleon but I would guess that it was by a different structure. I believe that resent studies on snakes have shown that parts of the lung cavity are possibly responsible for sensing vibrations and I would tend to think that this would be similar in chameleons. What's your oppinion?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Chameleon Forum ]