kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Question about checking the cuts.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by naker on May 08, 2003 at 14:36:52:

In Reply to: Question about checking the cuts. posted by lbenton on May 08, 2003 at 14:15:09:

:If you want to equip yourself for the job.. do this:

:1) Stubby flourecent light (12 volt DC, not 110 volt AC – the 12 Volt has a 1.1 Amp draw and will run for better than 6 hours on the recommended battery)

:http://www.bradystools.com/ligfluor2012.html

:2) A couple of 12 volt 7 amp hour batteries (more if you wish) (do not get “bigger” because they are heavier, and it is wise just to carry more if you can see your car anyway)

:http://www.batteryconnection.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BC&Product_Code=PS-1270

:This battery can be carried safely in a fanny pack or a backpack, wrap it in padding for comfort. Also you will need to install a standard female cigarette lighter outlet with an in-line fuse (Radio shack type stuff) on the battery. The charger needs to be a 12 volt 500 MilliAmp to 1 Amp power converter with a male cigarette lighter plug on the end. You need 1 charger per battery, and be sure it is + to + when charging.

:3) A Spot/Flood light (this works very well to spotlight, and if you walk with this using the above batteries it will run much longer than handheld artificial Sun’s many people like. But to walk with this you will want a lot of batteries, 6-8 would be my guess, I am not sure how many Amps it will pull)

:http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=188&CATID=2

:4) Or you could try road cruising / spotlighting. Do so at your own risk, some say it is legal, some say it is illegal and most do it anyway. But I do not reflect the intentions of Law Enforcement, so make up your own mind on that.

:I would also dare say that in Val Verde county you likely stay in the fine town of Del Rio. 3 very popular localities are an easy commute from there. Loma Alta, Langtry and Juno. I would advise being on the watch for weekend traffic, especially on Loma/277 with it winding in a few places and having some limited shoulder space to safely pull off. The popular turn around spots on all 3 are well documented if you do not already have all that.

:If you need any help setting up the gear, just post questions here and answers should flood in from many us.

:If anybody else has recommendations or equipment sources, post them, share them, play nice…

:I posted this once a little earlier, but it did not stick? If it ends up on the msg board twice then I apologize.

I plan on spending most of my time on 163 and 189. It looks good on a map....LOL! I'also plan on driving 277. I like picking a road and sticking with it. You have much better odds thet way. I'm going to try and get there befor dark so that I could check out the country first. I'm realy getting excited about this trip. I like a good challenge. I know herps are far and between there. A lot of country to cover and so little time. I plan on staying in Del Rio. In checking the cuts is there an easement you can walk. I don't want to tresspass on private property. I don't want to be mistaken as a drug carrier or illegal and get shot....LOL! Any one else going out this weekend? I'll be driving a 2003 Silverado Wht x-cab. We can share what we are seeing out. Later! John .

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alterna Forum ]