kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Please help identify a stowaway.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ What Kind of Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Jan Grathwohl on August 27, 2002 at 17:46:41:

In Reply to: Please help identify a stowaway. posted by caliber on August 27, 2002 at 16:18:07:

Hi

Could you by any chance post a picture of the lizard.

From your describtion I would think it is a Green anole Anolis carolinensis... but then again I might be wrong... would help with a picture

Regards

Jan Grathwohl

:We just bought a palm tree-type plant & it came home with a little stowaway. At first, we thought he was a gecko, but after doing a bit of surfing, I know it is some other type of lizard. This is a very small fella, I think he is really young. He is only about 1" from tip of nose to tail. Well, half of his tail, the tip was lost when we tried to catch him. He has a large head like a gecko, but his legs are long w/ long "fingers". He can climb the sides of the plastic container I have him in and he is very fast. He is pretty active in the day, and likes to hide in the mulch I have in the bottom or perch on the piece of plant I put in. He is quite pretty & can change his color from light/dark depending on what he on. He has an unusual pattern on his back. He has a white/yellow stripe starting from the base of his head going all the way down his tail. His back has a diamond looking pattern broken in half by the stripe. There are some markings on his back legs but he is so small it is hard to make out. Those look a little reddish in color. The rest of him is greenish brown. When he closes his eye, I can make out a faint star-pattern of stripes. His skin is smooth with no discernable scales.

:Please help identify this little guy so we know how to take care of him. He would not survive outside here (Albany, NY) and we would like to try and keep him. Any lizard-raising tips would be helpful. Thanks, Latisha & Chad

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ What Kind of Lizard Forum ]