kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Trimeresurus albolabris

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]

Posted by tj on April 03, 2003 at 08:04:36:

In Reply to: Re: Trimeresurus albolabris posted by SLCT_Rep777 on April 02, 2003 at 17:48:25:

I understand that Wyeth's Polyvalent Pit Viper Antivenom (which is available in most US
Hospitals)

> I wouldn't bet on that, there are probably quite a few hospital's that don't carry any AV. In my area (Syracuse, NY), there aren't any hospital's that carry AV, one hospital said that they would have to get AV from the Rosemond Gifford Zoo. Well, they don't carry AV either, so the closest place for AV would probably be 100-150 miles, not far, but not close by any means. Don't assume that most hospital's carry AV, or are even prepared for a snake bite.

::who has these beautifull animals and what kind of venom do they have?? ar ethey deadly?? or not ..

::do they bite very quick or are they not aggressive?

: My old Trimeresurus albolabris, which I raised from a hatchling, was very aggressive right from the start. Much more likely to strike than my Eyelash Vipers or some of the other Trimeresurus sp I've kept. Not that it's a problem, I think it's a good thing, if anything it will keep you on your toes. Your much more likely to get bit by a venomous snake that you feel is docile, as your more likely to drop your guard against it. That's why you occasionally hear of somebody getting bit by their Gaboon Viper and the same reason you here of more private keepers being killed by large Pythons than venomous snakes. Nobody carries their Egyptian Cobra around there neck.

:Trimeresurus albolabris isn't deadly, fatalities are very rare even among people native to the snakes habitat. And they're recieving (more dangerous) bites to the upper extremities, as I remember reading that they're often bitten while tending to Banana trees. Trimersurus albolabris is on par with Copperheads as one of the least dangerous venomous snakes. It doesn't mean it's impossible for the snake to severly injure or even kill you, it just means it's not very likely. They're bite will however still cause you extreme pain and a massive hospital bill.

:Also, about your other question. I understand that Wyeth's Polyvalent Pit Viper Antivenom (which is available in most US Hospitals) neutralizes the effects of most all pit viper venoms, including Trimeresurus and Bothriechis sp. I learned this as a friend was bitten by an Eyelash Viper and told me it was used on him with success. I believe, though I'm not positive, that it's a combination of Western Diamondback, Mojave, and a particular South American Bothrops sp venom. I think it was the Ferdelance if I'm not mistaken. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]