kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Your pleasure, a snake's pain.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]

Posted by MsTT on May 12, 2003 at 01:09:18:

In Reply to: Your pleasure, a snake's pain. posted by robin on May 12, 2003 at 00:37:13:

:I am a farm girl, been doing most of my own vet work all of my adult life. I think that I am observant of my animals needs.

That is definitely a big plus.

:I did not do the venomoid surgeries on these 5 snakes out of the 100+ that I keep. I purchased them already done. They were however done by a competent person. I have recieved all but one with stitches still intact, and all had normal feeding response. I feel that if they were in pain the feeding reponse would be diminished, or absent.

Not necessarily. I've been having an interesting time trying to keep a green mamba with a horribly shattered jaw from moving it voluntarily, so she's getting her food and water through a tube and intracoelomically under anesthesia. She does show clinical signs of pain, but she also shows more willingness to move that jaw than is really good for her. I think she might well eat given the opportunity, but that doesn't mean that pain is not present.

A snake on a malfunctioning hot rock won't move. It will literally cook to death. Yet when these cases are caught and treated, the burned animal does show clinical signs of pain. It just doesn't have a withdrawal reflex. Eating is certainly one good sign that the snake is healthy, but I don't think we can say for sure that it means the animal is free of pain.

: Now that I have had them awhile, I have not seen a change in behavoir, leading me to believe they were behaving normally when they arrived, thus were in little to no pain.

A lot of that would depend on how long the healing period was. Most of the serious post-op pain signs I see in snakes are over a fairly short period of time, from 12 hours to a few days depending on the type of surgery.

: I do not feel that surgery under anesthesia to remove venom glands or ducts needs pain management afterwards.

The generally accepted view these days among reptile veterinarians is that any invasive surgery is appropriately managed with post-op pain meds. However this is a fairly new development, and while it is definitely well entrenched in the current literature you will still find old-timer vets who can remember when the refrigerator was considered good anesthesia.

: If I am wrong, and god is a snake, I guess I am in trouble.

What do you mean, "if"? LOL

TT

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]