kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Your pleasure, a snake's pain.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]

Posted by robin on May 12, 2003 at 00:37:13:

In Reply to: Your pleasure, a snake's pain. posted by MsTT on May 12, 2003 at 00:16:30:

::I have seen no evidence of pain in snakes recovering from venomoid surgery.

:Pain, anesthesia, analgesia and withdrawal reflex in reptiles is a complex phenomenon that is still being researched. It is definitely known that snakes have a highly developed nervous system and that they do show clinical signs of pain under some circumstances, but they lack a withdrawal reflex for some types of pain which can cause problems in captivity - hot rock burns and severe bites by live prey are two typical presentations.

:Having observed many venomous snakes recovering from surgery, I would have to say that the clinical signs of pain can be fairly subtle. I can spot them, and I can reverse them with the administration of one of the appropriate pain meds, and I can see a subtle but definite change in behavior and response when the meds kick in. But it took me a lot of post-surgery observations to get really confident in saying, "I think this snake is in pain, and I think more meds should go on board". It really isn't obvious until you know what to look for.

:Also you have to know the snake individually to some extent; a normally calm animal animal in pain may become more belligerent. A normally bad tempered animal that is weak or debilitated may become suspiciously calm. Basically when you see short term changes in a snake's behavior postoperatively it's a good idea to pour on the pain meds and maybe check its blood chemistry.

:
:: Touching a snake for routine maitenance and really being able to touch a venomoid snake are entirely different things.

:Honestly, not for me. I hook and tail my snakes and for me that's quite normal and enjoyable. Also I don't want to stress my animals with overhandling. I'm comfortable, relaxed and confident around my snakes and it's just second nature to pick up their bodies and guide their heads with a hook. I have no use for a venomoid because I find it completely enjoyable and comfortable to handle fully hot snakes in a way that is both gentle and safe.

:I am sure that you could get to that comfort level too, just as easily as I did if not more so. There are plenty of folks with better vision and reflexes whom I expect should easily be able to surpass a little old lady with bad knees and glasses.

:
:: I am proud of the fact that I take excellent care of all my snakes, hot or not. They are healthy, happy, and as content as any snake can be in captivity. Thats what I expect everyone to do for their captives.

:I'm glad to hear your snakes are healthy and well kept, but I hope you understand that there was probably pain and suffering as well as damage involved in making them venomoid. I hope that the operation was at least performed by a qualified veterinarian.

:
:> I feel the venomoid issue the wrong thing to get up in arms about, lets spend our energy educating people in proper husbandry.........Robin

:I'd rather do both, since I would like people to understand that the venomoid operation itself can be a very inhumane and improperly performed procedure.

:Regards,

:TT

I am a farm girl, been doing most of my own vet work all of my adult life. I think that I am observant of my animals needs.
I did not do the venomoid surgeries on these 5 snakes out of the 100+ that I keep. I purchased them already done. They were however done by a competent person. I have recieved all but one with stitches still intact, and all had normal feeding response. I feel that if they were in pain the feeding reponse would be diminished, or absent. Now that I have had them awhile, I have not seen a change in behavoir, leading me to believe they were behaving normally when they arrived, thus were in little to no pain. I do not feel that surgery under anesthesia to remove venom glands or ducts needs pain management afterwards. If I am wrong, and god is a snake, I guess I am in trouble. But that is how I feel, and I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this in a reasonable manner.........Robin

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]