kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Food recommendations for Nigerians?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by jimbo on April 25, 2003 at 19:28:55:

In Reply to: Food recommendations for Nigerians? posted by peanutbuttermdc on April 25, 2003 at 18:53:04:

I think most will agree that each individual uro has it's own personality and preferrences. You'll probably have to experiment in finding out what yours likes and dislikes. I've found that common "favorites" with many uros, may not be even liked with mine. Also, over time, tastes may change.
Some of the "good" stuff that I've heard about and also discovered are the fresh yellow dandelion flowers (when I say fresh, I mean picked off my lawn), mustard greens, gazania rigens, commonly known as the "treasure flower" (see picture), of which Rocky goes nuts for (see video), dry mix, and one that I got from Deer Fern Farms, bee pollen granules. Aside from the bee pollen, I'll utilize these to make sure they get some suppliments, by dusting the treats, as I know they'll eat them. If you just got the uros, I've found, accidentally, that the dry mix will get them eating. It's been noted that a possible problem, is that if they're dehydrated, the dry mix may make it worse. My opinion is that if they're dehydrated, they're not going to eat anything anyway.
Make sure that if they appear to be not eating, that there is always a variety of food available anyway. Acclimation is kind of stressfull for both the owner and the uro, but I haven't read anything about uros not making it during acclimation.
Good luck.
Jim

Here's the flower:
:

Here's Rocky going nuts for it:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]