kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Great minds think alike...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]

Posted by Becki on May 12, 2003 at 20:10:48:

In Reply to: Great minds think alike... posted by Derek Benson on May 12, 2003 at 18:48:20:

More power to all the folks who can grow real plants - I do envy you in a way, on the flip side after just having set up my RETF tank with nothing but artificial plants I am overly pleased with how it turned out. I like being able to get a plant to arrange how I want it where I want it, etc. And my frogs - all of them, 5 different species all get in the plants, and chill on them same as a real plant so they don't seem to mind. I even think fakes are better with larger species because the trample and squash real plants. To each their own I suppose - never could grow a house plant, just not my thing, think they call it black thumb. :) Anyhow to answer the question about where to buy artificial plants, I buy mine at various places - dollar store, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc - it doesn't matter where you buy them nor how expensive they are but there are some things to watch for. The plastic type leaves do better than the cloth type as the cloth ones are weaker in support and they also get moldy from absorbing moisture. You want to make sure all limbs and tips of limbs are coated in plastic so there are no sharp points anywhere. It is okay to have the kind with wire inside of plastic so they are posable. You also want to wash them thoroughly and pay close attention when you are rinsing them that none of the colors from the plants run - if they do that means you have running dye which could be absorbed by your frogs and be fatal to them. And just on more thing while we're on the subject - it looks very nice when you take some stems and leaves from a fake plant and hot glue them (non-toxic hot glue) to real wood or posable rubber branches making "trees" out of them. Just a little thing I have learned and liked along the way. Hope this helps!
:) Becki

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]