kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Great minds think alike...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]

Posted by Derek Benson on May 12, 2003 at 18:48:20:

In Reply to: Keeping plants alive in a vivarium.............. posted by Double J on May 12, 2003 at 14:58:39:

:I have had tremendous results in keeping plants alive and healthy in my frog tanks, so much so that my bromeliads pup, and my orchids are thriving. NowA good CHEAP way to keep some of the low-pight locing plants alive is to go to Wal-Mart, and buy a fluorescent under-cabinet fixture. These work quite well for keeping some species of plants alive and they are usually about 7 dollars fot the entire unit whch includes the fixture, bulb/tube, built-in switch, and 6 foot cord. For my first couple of vivairums, they worked uite well in keeping such plants as pothos, dieffenbacchia, philodendrons, and other low-light cheap tropicals. Java moss grows fine under this lightng as wel. I have even had bromeliads pup under a mere one-tube fixture with a plant grow tube (a 4 dollar tube). However, I have since changed my vivarium lighting types to accomodate more "difficult" plants like orchids and bromeliads and MOSS!! with fabulous results. I tried the dual tube fixctures with decent results, but now I have converted to 6500k screw-in compact fluorescents. I can get them relatively cheap (due to employee discount where I work of course) and MAN, My orchids are growing like crazy, and it looks like they are going to flower. My broms are pupping like mad, and my moss is growing fast for moss. So, tailoring the lighting to your plants is important, and plant placement in the vivairum is also very important as well.
:So, good luck
:Double J

:
:

Hey Double J,

I go to wal-mart and buy those cheap under cabinet fixtures as well for like $7, can't beat it. I have golden pothos, fiscus, bird's nest snake plant, snake plant, etc. that grow under this bulb that comes witht he fixture. I will get some grow bulbs sometime and have 2 fixtures atop my tanks. They work great for being that cheap and from wal-mart.

Derek

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]