kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

White's tree frogs (need a little help...)...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]

Posted by James... on April 22, 2003 at 16:47:41:

Hi all! I'm new to this forum, I usually browse the field herping forum and post on the Canadian forums, but this is my first time coming here. You will probably hear a lot from me from now on though, lol.

Anyway, I've been contacted by someone who has a pair of White's tree frogs that she doesn't have space for anymore, and she just had a baby, so she can't really care for them right now. She called me the other night, and it seems she wants to get rid of the little guys ASAP. So...I am going to pick them up tomorrow! I'm really excited, but I've never had experience keeping frogs before. I have been researching these awesome guys like crazy the past few days, so I think I am prepared. She is giving me the tank and everything too, but I am thinking of setting up one of my old 30 (or so) gallon tanks for them. I was thinking of two inches of gravel filled one inch with water, then a couple of inches of bed-a-beast substrate over top of it. I was going to glue some cork bark to the back wall (what glue would be safe?) and then have pothos growing out of the ground, with sticks and fake vines all over.

Now for the part I am most curious about; I have a small fountain, that would look awesome in a vivarium and it has a fair sized basin at the bottom. I was thinking I could bury this down into the substrate until the 'pond' part is just above the top of the substrate, then run the (insulated!!!) cord out along the back corner and wrap some plastic ivy around it to conceal it. Would this be safe?

Can you guys please post pics of your set-ups?

Thanks!
James
PS Can anyone recommend any websites on the care of these frogs? I've been reading a lot, but I want to be as prepared as possible.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]