kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: WTF handling question...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]

Posted by drummagirl on April 04, 2003 at 19:06:57:

In Reply to: WTF handling question... posted by BeDreamin on April 04, 2003 at 18:36:54:

Hi,
Great choice with the WTF, they're some of the coolest (and cutest) frogs you can get! As far as the handling goes (and some one correct me if i'm wrong), they really should only be handle under "have-to" circumstances, like cleaning out the enclosure or for medical purposes. And even then, you need to wash your hands thouroughly. Frogs skin absorbes what it touches, so if your hands are dirty your frog's skin will be taking all that in, and a lot of the daily things on our hands like perfume, oils or whatever can make your frog sick. Letting them climb all over the place is discouraged too, because of all the crud they can pick up. That said, they are adorable animals that are hard not to pick up, but it's great that you're wise enough to think about this before you purchase a frog. Hope i helped and good luck!!
carole

:Hello everyone.
:I'm considering a WTF, and I've been reading up a bit lately. My only concern is that I keep seeing "unnecessary handling" come up as a cause of the red leg syndrome. In your opinions, what exactly constitutes "unnecessary"? I remember a friend who had a WTF, and constantly had it out, just sitting on his arm or crawling on him while he was watching TV and stuff... Should this sort of contact be discouraged? I have a green iguana, and I love "playing" with her all the time, and I don't know if a pet that I shouldn't really handle is the right thing for me.
:Thanks!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]