kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Defecation Before Birth?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]

Posted by Warren_Booth on January 29, 2003 at 12:11:11:

In Reply to: Defecation Before Birth? posted by C. Elmer on January 28, 2003 at 16:34:56:

Hi Christian,
Congrats on the forth coming babies. As far as your question goes, well in all the litters I have produced the females will defecate a small amount of urates and whats looks like egg yolk, generally a yellow coloured blob. The other thing to look out for is that the female will become increasingly restless, cruising around her tank each night, as if looking for somewhere to give birth. She may slough her skin again, a pre-parturate slough. IF so expect babies between 2 and 24 days later. Mine generally fall in the 12 - 20 mark. Not all females do slough however.As far as cleaning goes, I generally completely avoid handling the female, even with snake hooks during a pregnancy. I have my tanks set up in such a way that I can replace the papertowel substrate without moving branches and perches. The puts less stress on the females. I have females that will eat throughout gestation and others that will refuse food from the point of ovulation, don't worry, if she is of good body weight she will be fine. Finally, make sure all holes in the tank that are bigger than 5mm square are covered. I have had babies escape through mesh grils of greater diameters than 5mm. Remove large water bowls or fill them with moss, as if the babies land in them while in their amniotic sacs they may drown. Also, make sure heat sources are cover with a good fine mesh grill. Oh, finally, you may want to remove the male, its always a pain having babies in a tank, an angry mother and a pissed of dad.
Post some pics if you can of your female now, lets see what shelooks like, then post one after her post parturate slough. Its amazing how their colour changes after birth.
hope this helps, babies are certainly on their way for you in the next ew days to fortnight I would say, keep us posted and get us pics.
Regards,

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]