kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Wierd...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]

Posted by Doug T on January 22, 2003 at 21:37:12:

In Reply to: Doug, our female scrubs do the same...more posted by Yasser on January 22, 2003 at 17:46:01:

My female actually went into the water a few days before warm up and was hanging out in 65 degree water. I guess she likes it consistantly COLD.

It must have something to do with follicle developement because I can't think of a time when either of the males soaked for any extended period. I wonder though. At best my MTB's are bi-anual reproducers. The soaking female had babies last season and doesn't appear gravid. Ahh the mysteries.

As for waiting for your scrub addiction to curb before you get any Mad's...I think that's gonna be a long time... ;-)

Doug

:We notcied that when our female scrubs are cool or during the warmup, they will go into their waterpans for days much like your MTBs.
:I have no clue really why but I think it has something to do with creating a more constant temperature for them. The water acts as an insulator of sorts. The snake doesn't get as cool at night while in the water as it is holding the daytime temps longer. But the water never really gets as warm as the rest of the cage during the DTHs either. I found that the snakes in the water hold less variable body temps usually accurate to about 3-5 degrees of fluctuation in a daily variation of cage temps of as much as 15 degrees.
:I was talking to some well known breeders a couple of years ago and they mentioned how they believe the cooler temps in the winter aids in the slow and proper development of healthy follicles in females. At this time they seem to prefer being cool and avoid any extra heat. But once ovulation has occured, they need warmth for proper egg (or embryo)development. It seems to be quite true with our stuff. Maybe soaking in the water is their way of fine tuning their preferred temps. Our males almost never soak in winter...if anything, they are heat hogs. Any time there is supplemental heat on in their cage, they are using it.
:Funny stuff huh?
:BTW, I still want some of those MTBs.
:As soon as we curb our scrub addiction!
:Take care Doug!
:-Yasser

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]