kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

feeding questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by Blakes_girl on May 04, 2003 at 23:38:42:

In Reply to: feeding questions posted by mike d on May 04, 2003 at 14:58:36:

The first thing that I would think if your tegu isn't eating is that your temperatures aren't high enough. But everything sounds fine there. Now, after hearing what your setup is like, my next guess is that your tegu might have some type of parasite.

That's usually pretty easy and relatively inexpensive to deal with. All you have to do is take a stool sample down to your local vet (even non-herp vets should be able to run tests to find parasites) and they should be able to check things out. It's usually pretty inexpensive because you don't pay for the actual office visit and the tests usually aren't expensive to run either.

I do have one last question for you. Are the fluorescents that you're using actual reptile fluorescents that put out UVB rays like the Reptisun bulbs or just fluorescents that you found in a store like Home Depot?

I hope this will help get you started on a solution!

Lindsay

:he is in a 75 gallon tank(4 feet long about 2 feet wide and about 20 inches high) the temp on the cool side is about 85-90 and his basking spot is 130. he is on cypress mulch for substrate. the day i got him (tuesday) he ate 6 crickets and a little of his monitor diet. that was the first time i saw him eat. and on wedness day he ate about 4 crickets and more monitor diet. his last bowel movement was on thursday or friday. for bulbs i use a 125 watt heat bulb that i bought from home depot. i use floressent lighting as well. the floresent lighting streches over the lengh of the cage and holds 2 bulbs. he has a hiding spot under the cypress mulch in his hide log. and i mist his cage every day. if you need anymore info let me know.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]