kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sorry Wolfgang...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by WW on October 31, 2002 at 05:38:40:

In Reply to: Sorry Wolfgang... posted by Kenny Wray on October 30, 2002 at 13:25:17:

:I needed not your explanation on why everyone was upset. I have read several of your papers and seen discussions on this and other forums as to your opinions on this matter (many of which I share).

I kind of figured - the explanation was not justf or your personal consumption, but for a more general one.

: I actually "used" this post to draw you and others into an example of the debate from below.

Which I have followed, but kept out of because I did not want to be drawn into personal issues involving people I know.

: I have a friend who spent time over seas in Indonesia collecting and preserving and visiting many museums, in some very troublesome areas just to come back and work 6 months straight on the data to describe a new species of monitor. Once he finished with the countless reviews of his manuscript and had it sent off to the editor, the same species was published in Reptiles Magazine from some pet trade specimens. Although a valid species, the description was vague at best and the type was from an uncertain origin. It sucks.

Yes, it does suck. Assuming we are talking about the same person, my understanding is that the author of that species felt that he had had species taken from him by reviewers of his papers submitted to peer-reviewed journals in the past, and that he therefore was no longer willing to risk losing "his" new species due to intellectual theft by peer-review. That was his view, at any rate. I hasten to add that I am not taking sides and have not heard all sides of the argument, I am merely offering his version of events as an example of the *perception* that can develop.

: I also hate to see the time spent on elevating insular forms and description of races (even though I am a proponent of subspecies).

I tend to agree on that one. I certainly do have some difficulties with the approach taken by researchers working on the islands of Baja...

: But, what are you going to do?

Well, as far as Hoser's stuff is concerned, we have got plenty of data for both Acanthophis and Pseudechis - while the main aim of the project was to relate this to venom and biogeography, it will also very nicely sort out some of his taxonomic proposals - some are correct, others fantasy.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]