kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: 2 1/2 inch turtle has bite wounds

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Melodie on July 02, 2002 at 00:50:14:

In Reply to: 2 1/2 inch turtle has bite wounds posted by Brianna Miller on June 24, 2002 at 17:23:31:

All the best for a speedy recovery to your baby. Keep the water really clean so that she doesn't get infected and maybe a high protein diet to help the recovery. Is she eating alright?

I've had my softshell in with my two red ear sliders since they were all hatchlings (about a year now) and they seem to get along fine...My softshell also is outgrowning both of my sliders! I got him when he was about 1" and he's almost 2.5" now, solid as a rock!
What kind of tank do you have, and what are you feeding him? Pellets alone aren't enough, soft shells are primarily carnivores, so worms, fish, crickets should be a staple, and I give him boiled shirmp as a treat (mine LOVES frozen peas too) I avoid any processed food, unnatural. What kind of a bottom do you have? Softshells love to bury themselves....mine is only out maybe a few hours a day and the rest he spends undergravel. I have general aquarium gravel and mine seems to like it, with no abrasions or problems with his shell. Also, they're territorial, so if your tank isn't big enough that would lead to the fighting too. Softshells are agressive, but won't win against a hard shell with sharp claws.

Again, all the best to your baby's recovery!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]