kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Why did my turtle die?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]

Posted by JoAnna on March 25, 2002 at 21:25:52:

I have two pet turtles from the chesapeak bay. they are yellow ear sliders i believe. they started out about the size of half dollars, and grew to be about 5 and 6 inches long. they have lived with me for over 15 years. They have pretty good lives for turtles in captivity... They spend the warm months in a 'fish' pond in my back yard, and durring the colder months they have free range of the downstairs level of our split level home (which includes big sliding glass doors to let lots of light in). Mostly in the winter they don't eat and they spend all thier time behind the tv under a blanket. they don't come out except for spending about two days a week in the water to keep them hydrated. any ways, mid-last week i put the female in the tank to let her soak up some water, and she crawled onto a rock as far out of the water as she could get. then she rested her head on the side of the tank. i thought that this was very strange behavior, but i wasnt worried cause they do lots of strange things... theyre turtles. so 2-3 days later i took her out of the tank and i noticed that her eyes were sunk into her head a little and i thought 'gee what a deep sleep she must be in'. i put her behind the tv, and that was that until today. today i went to put her in the tank again and i saw that her eyes were deeply DEEPLY sunk into her head :( . her head hung limp when i picked her up and i knew that she was dead. there was no change in her apperance execpt for her eyes or behavior except for the incident where she crawled away from water. any idea what happened to her. she wasn't even 20 years old, she was small when we got her, and that was about 14 years ago. so dose anyone know what happened to my turtle? i thought that turtles lived for a long long time? i was very good to my turtle, please help me understand what happened.

thank you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]