kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Partial shot from above of another wood-framed pond

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Accomplice on November 26, 2002 at 10:49:56:

In Reply to: Re: Partial shot from above of another wood-framed pond posted by Darkhaven on November 26, 2002 at 00:26:19:

Brad,

Its super easy. I didn't have or use any written plans. Just figure out what dimensions you'd like it to be. Then get some plywood cut to that size to lay out as the bottom/ base. Take 2X4's or 2X8's, etc. and drill them together into squares or rectangles (look at my pic to see how I connected them). Lay one of those 'squares' or 'rectangles' on the ground and place your plywood on top and drill it together around the edges. Then flip it back over and place the next 'square' or whatever on top of it. To connect the squares to each other I used predrilled flat straps of metal from the hardware store. Its just a flat piece of steel about 4X1 inches with 4+ holes drilled in it. You slap that across the joint between levels and secure it. I used about 12 of these strap metal pieces to connect the boards on the large pond. When you get to the desired height you can drop in your liner and let the edges flop over the sides as you fill it with water. Then screw trim pieces to the top edge all the way around. Trim off the excess liner and you're good to go. My large pond bowed out a bit in the middle. Looking back I would have added a 2X4 center brace and drilled it in through each side at the very top running across the middle of the pond. That would have solved the bowing problem and also been a platform for potential basking spots.

Kevin

:would you happen to be able to send me plans on how to make one of these brad@uswa5306.com
:please wanted very badly
:thnk you
:Brad

::This is a photo of a yearling alligator snapper sitting on the edge of the first wood-framed pond I built. This same 4'X4'X20" (deep) pond now houses my adult male for the winter. These ponds are super easy to build out of scrap plywood and 2X4's or 2X8's etc.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]