kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Okay, I shouldn't feed goldfish. But WHY?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by gpalasz on February 11, 2003 at 08:47:39:

In Reply to: Re: Okay, I shouldn't feed goldfish. But WHY? posted by SteveH on February 10, 2003 at 17:00:51:

::I've got a common and an ally who have been eating shiner minnows supplemented with trout chow, but the local bait shop is very expensive and stingy on their minnow count, so it's costing a lot as my snappers grow. I can get feeder goldfish much more cheaply, per pound of flesh. I've often heard that goldfish are not nutritous -- like an all-lettuce diet for herbivores -- but what is the reason they're inadequate? They're live whole fish, so what is missing from their body chemistry that's present in other fish and needed by a snapper? Don't wild snappers eat a lot of carp? They seem to be an easily-swallowed, soft-finned prey, abundant in warm, turbid waters, and a bottom-feeder to boot. Wouldn't that make them more available to snappers than most fish species? I'm NOT saying they universal advice to avoid feeder goldfish is wrong, I just want to know why, and if it's possible to supplement to make up the lack. Hope someone will bother helping a newbie on the forum.

:
:Hi Mike, I think the idea here is that goldfish have too many negatives going against them to be used as a staple. The pellet food has all the vitamins and minerals. And something like chicken hearts and gizzards are cheaper(per pound of flesh)and I believe it's what gator farmers use. Steve
:

Try some pinkies, fuzzies and such, depending on his size. Get a lot of food for the buck at that size.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]