kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

name & dosage of meds....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Skink Forum ]

Posted by icequeen on May 09, 2003 at 17:55:11:

In Reply to: Life with Dill today.... posted by Brian-SFCRC on May 09, 2003 at 16:56:34:

Hi Brian...

The meds that Dill is taking are: " 8 Septra Suspension per mL"
The Dr called it TMS, I don't know what that is short for.
I took Sherri's email with me, and she used that as a guide, but as I mentioned before, we can't get some of the meds here in Canada...so I don't know if she ended up using something similar, or the exact thing that had been prescribed for Little Pete.
(of course right now I don't have Sherri's email right in front of me...figures.)
I give Dill 2cc's every 12 hours...no sooner, and no greater quantity.

I soaked Dill again today...got the rest of the tail shed off.
The toe is definately less swollen...but still really ANGRY looking. She doesn't seem to have any control over it. The toe just flops around and sometimes it just folds backward under the palm of her hand. I really don't know how much use to her it will be, if we do get it healed up.
Poor Baby!
I got her some fresh figs today...they went over pretty well! Considering that she really hasn't shown much interest in her food for a number of days now. She hasn't completely quit eating...just barely nibbles. I have not seen any bowel movements either. Tonight, in the bath, she passed some urates, that were typical in appearance.
I also got Dill some repti-aide. She seemed to like that well enough too. She ate 3cc's of it. Along with her fig. She also had a drink of water at that time as well.
I will give Dr. Hopper the name and number of the vet you gave me...perhaps she will consult with him prior to us going in for our follow up appt.

Thanks Brian....

Kim

:SOUTHERN FLORIDA CORUCIA RESEARCH CENTER (SFCRC)

:Hi Kim,

:Yes, I read your visit to the vet. Did you read my response? Check with Ron Dupont for a second opinion since it was the 1st time your kind vet worked with a PTS. What is the name of the medication?

:I think your doing a great job. I'm concerned about that digit. When that is said and done, we'll discuss the prosthesis so that dill can climb again. When physically fully healthy, that will be a #1 priority. You should mist her often with a squirt bottle. She'll love you for it.

:Most antibiotic treatments or de-worming procedures are given 1 a week for 3 weeks totoal on this species. For standard medications for say a Corucia weighting about 1.18 lbs=3/4 cc.
:But again, it depends on the specific medicne used. Hopefully, this will be useful as a guide though.

:Sincerely,
:Brian
:SFCRC

::Hi again Brian...

::Well...Dill is just about finished her shed. Some old skin is left on the last 5 or so inches of her tail, plus a few patches here and there.
::I think soaking her has REALLY helped it along. It came off in such BIG peices! I don't know...maybe that's normal..it just seems so different compared to my cham, who sheds little patches at a time.
::Did you get a chance to read my post about Dill's trip to the vet?
::I've been putting the panalog cream on her feet every 4 to 6 hours...and the toe LOOKS a little better. I think some of the swelling has come down some, due to the topical steroid in the creme.
::I forgot to mention in that other post, that along with potential digital necrosis, the vet said Dill has cellulitis in that toe as well. I'm not sure of the severity of that particular condition...I haven't looked it up yet.
::The toe doesn't seem to be oozing fluid today though, thankfully, but it's still really red and sore looking.

::Today I put a nice branch in her enclosure. It has a subtle curve to it, and is about the thickness of my arm, which Dill doesn't seem to have much difficulty holding on to. The only thing is...if I put her up on it, she can hold on, and stay there...she can also get down when she wants...but she can not get up on her own. :o( I feel so bad for her!
::I also put a healthy pathos plant in with her...I've had it for years, so no pesticides on it for sure.
::Nothing seems to interest her! She took a couple bites of her dinner tonight...and then wandered away from it...got up on top of her hidey, and layed at the base of her branch.
::I'm going to get her some repti-aide tomorrow, and see if that will pique her interest in eating again...it reallllllly helped my cham...so I'll get the vegetarian version for Dill.

::I'll tell ya....it's NO easy task getting her medicine into her!
::Her mouth is like a vice!!!
::The vet was very specific about NOT over-dosing her, but it's so hard to be sure that I'm getting the right amount of medication into Dill. It seems so much ends up coming right back out at me!

::This morning, we had our little wrestling match...then AFTER the syringe was empty, Dill turned toward my hand, with her mouth WIDE open, as though she was saying..."c'mon...I DARE ya to try and give me anymore!"

::I'm just hoping that enough is going in to be of benefit!

::Kim

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Skink Forum ]