kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: How do you get them to eat bugs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Raymond Moreno on October 04, 2002 at 07:41:06:

In Reply to: How do you get them to eat bugs? posted by insectiachick2 on October 03, 2002 at 21:50:58:

Hey "Insect-Dudette"...

I'm definately not an expert, but if I may, I'de like to throw-out a few suggestions. (My opinions).

1) They MAY be "Yellow School Bus" cresty's.

Not wanting to sound mean or anything, but the fact is that ALL ANIMALS (not just us homo-sapiens), have the probability of being born with a mental disorder. IE, being kinda slow - or better known as, "being retarded". ("Retarded," means to be slow).

2) They may have eye problems.

It may be that their one under-developed eye may not be functioning. Or as a worst-case scenario - BOTH OF THEIR EYES may not be working. And if the latter situation is the case, that may be why they're not hunting for their crix.

From what I understand, their sense of smell is pretty good...but they really rely on MOVEMENT to stimulate their "chase/hunt" reflex.

Here's a few things I would try:

a) Try to find someone who knows a little about the cresty's eyes, (and how they work), and try to do a "test" to determine if they are having eye problems.

b) If they do have eye problems, then try dipping the crix in thick fruit juice, or fruit baby-food, to stimulate their sense of smell. Who knows, maybe that's all it'll take to help them locate their "moving morsels". (Kinda like the "Fruit Loops" cereal commercial with Toucan Sam - "Just-follow-your-nose...wherever-it-goes...").

c) Give them a whole bunch of love and attention!! If they do have physical problems, maybe it can be corrected...and maybe it can't.

And if it can't be corrected, you'll have the neatest blessing of having them depend totally on you. (To bring them their food and care). And by doing this, you'll really develop a special rapport with them, that us "normal folks" will never be able to.

Either way, love em for who they are...your lil special ones!!!

Best wishes, and keep us informed.

In Christ: Raymond

:I know that most of you probably don’t have this problem but my Cresties don’t seem to eat bugs? I have tried waxworms, small crix, Lobster roaches and Discoid roaches.

:Now I pretty sure the problem is that I have “Special” (no yellow school bus jokes) Cresties. Both boys were born with their left eyes smaller than their right eyes. In fact I am not sure what their vision is in their left eyes. Their previous owner said he could get them to eat crix if the crix walked past their good eye but I haven’t had any luck yet.

:I am open to suggestions.

:Christy, Mango, and Kiwi Rana
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]