kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Crested Diet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on January 30, 2003 at 07:50:55:

In Reply to: Crested Diet posted by captive_science on January 29, 2003 at 21:24:57:

The diet sounds good, but what are you using for protein. Kelp has very little. Spirulina contains a lot but you need to add a large quantity to make use of it. IMO the diet would be great supplemented to a staple of live insect prey. I am kind of against the whole fruit only diet; if your animals take crix by all means give it to them. I think they can do without the excess sugar everyday. However not all will take live prey, esp some species of Rhac, in those situations you have no choice and the diet is very useful. But you still need a major source of protein in order for the animals to grow properly. It might be able to sustain adults, but I would not raise hatchlings on it. I have tried both methods in the past, and I find that the hatchlings fed the insect staple grow much faster then their fruit only counterparts. Just some of my experiences =)
-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]