kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Crested Diet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by captive_science on January 29, 2003 at 21:24:57:

Greetings all! Just wanted to post a diet that I have used over the past year with a tremendous amount of success. This will save you the expense of purchasing "pre-packaged" dry foods. This is similar to the Non-prey crested diet that Mr. Repashy had printed in one of the reptile periodicals approx. two-three years ago. I'm not sure if he still uses his diet or if he has made changes, however the following continually outperforms any diet I have tried and is for the most part easy to assemble.

All products can be purchased of the shelf at local health food stores and vary in price. Those of you keeping 1 - 10 cresteds will find that the initial purchase of ingredients will far outlast any pre-packaged diet.

Start by purchasing powdered or granular bee pollen, powdered spirulina, and powdered kelp. These three products will assist in the extra trace elements for a prey-free diet. In addition you will need an appropriate calcium/D-3 supplement which can be based on a product you are comfortable with (ie. Minerall, Rep-Cal, etc.). If you purchase granular bee pollen, please grind into a powder with a m/p.

For mixing I will assume most of you are feeding two geckos and serving size can vary between us all. Start by mixing a little less than 1/4 tea spoon of powdered kelp with your fruit baby food of choice. Add 1/4 tea spoon powdered bee pollen and a very light sprinkle of powdered spirulina. If too much spirulina is added to the mix it will turn dark in color and will become gelatinous within a hour or so which your crested will not like. Finally, sprinkle your choice of calcium supplement and mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed and serve.

We currently have 53 cresteds and all are maintained on this diet without any live-prey. If you consistantly give live prey, I would recommend a gradual removal of live-prey over the period of one month.

Mix amounts may vary upon number of geckos feed at a given time, so adjust accordingly.

If you have any questions, please leave a post and I will respond.

Thanks!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]