kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by G Quirk on October 26, 2002 at 17:38:34:

In Reply to: Re: Why? posted by Silly-atus fan on October 26, 2002 at 15:02:35:

Well at last I have found someone else that investigates instead of taking the literatures word for it.We will have to get together and trade out some bloodlines.I'm bored, I think maybe I will write a care book on Elephants, Oh by the way where do they live?LOL!!!!!

::I kept and bred Ciliatus for 6 years at 30-40% humidity with misting twice a week. And that I believe that keeping them at 80% is bad for them health wise and would eventually cause them problems, especially when there is inadequate airflow, to keep most enclosures at that kind of %.

:
:If they're in a glass tank, you can bet your sweet bippy there's very little airflow (unless there's a fan). What most people go by is what's stated in books. Unfortunately books don't say 80% humidity "with constant breeze to prevent stagnant air". In a tank with more than <60% or so and little or no circulation, you can expect to find mold, fungus and who knows what else just waiting to cause URI. Even chameleons who need high humidity still need good airflow or they suffer from respiratory problems. About the only animals I can think of offhand that can live with little airflow and high humidity of 80%+ are ground dwelling amphibians. Arboreal geckos and leaf frogs are exposed to some breeze and airflow just by living in trees. The way to minimize problems is lower humidity in captivity, some airflow, let the cage/tank dry out considerably between misting, and provide a humid area the gecko can hide in when more moisture is needed.
:Like you, I have my Rhacs at room humidity around 40%. It's a challenge to keep it that high with a furnace and the naturally lower humidity in winter. I get around that with hide boxes, peat substrate with bark slabs they can hide under while sleeping. I've never had shedding problems with any Rhacs, no problems associated with high humidity, and they are active, eat and breed like there's no tomorrow.
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]