In Reply to: Hmmm.... posted by Yasser on October 15, 2002 at 11:55:25:
This is where it starts getting complicated. For commonly kept animals such as those that have been chewing on people asymptomatically for years (with effects being rare exceptions) then its ridiculous to apply the venomous standard to them. Technically speaking (from a toxin point of view) with very very few exceptions (ie N. American Elaphe, Lampropeltis, Pituophis) any colubrid randomly grabbed will have duvernoy's glands. Does this mean they all have toxins. Yes. Does this mean that they are all capable of envenomation. Certainly not. A little common sense goes a long way.