kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Welx-- Had to say it for peace of mind, and...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Francis on July 10, 2002 at 20:27:21:

In Reply to: Welx-- Had to say it for peace of mind, and... posted by Jeff Nichols on July 09, 2002 at 17:18:03:

Actually, I don't think it's that atypical as you might think. My mangrove(about the same size as Chance's) behaves very much the same manner.

Surprising as it might be to you, my friends' mangroves behaves in the same manner as have others. I won't come out and say that they are all like kittens because, like humans, their responses can be individualistic and therefore unpredictable.

Having said that, I believe that their so-called aggresive reputation is unwarranted. IMHO, compared to a radiated ratsnake(elaphe radiata), this is a real pussy cat.

If the person wishes to err on the side of caution, it's his/her choice. But having personally known individuals who have been bitten and came out none the worse, I'll take my chances. Not an endorsement, mind you, but an exercise of my free choice and calculated risk.

Cheers!
Francis

: : Hey. Thanks for the advice. So far I've not yet had any kind of allergic reactions to stings or otherwise (and even lucky enough to not react to poison ivy....really helps when chasing those slippery black racers down into the scrub alongside roads, believe me), but I'm not going to take any more chances with the mangrove. Yeah, I have freehandled her some with gloves, and then without when I realized I couldn't even wave my hand in front of her face (gloved or otherwise) and provoke a defensive responce. Strange huh? I know she's healthy, because she's been dewormed and deflaggylated (sp?), and has eaten for me, so I guess I just lucked out and got the atypical mangrove snake. I've not had a snake yet that hasn't tried to tag me for moving too quickly, but this mangrove totally lacks any fear of humans. She isn't very big yet, about 4' or so (can't wait til she hits that 8' mark or bigger, heh). I just hope she retains her very placid attitude (except toward prey) for the rest of her life.

: -- From what I've read you might have an atypical Mangrove. As I've indicated, I'm not a "hot" keeper unless BGF's results prove otherwise. But Mangroves (again from reading) seem to be a bit snippy. My credo remains-"There can be neither love nor loyalty exhibited in an animal who's (whos'???) eyes don't blink". Ever watchful, ever vigilant... and even then the unanticipated can happen.

: Stay safe,
: Jeff Nichols

: P.S. I think I too could eat Poison Ivy for breakfast and suffer no ill. Doesn't mean I'd assume the risk of rolling around in it. Those racers can be a good time though, might (probably would be in the heat of the moment) be worth it :-).

: J.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]