kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Response to Wai's post about acclimating....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by Terry Cox on February 06, 2003 at 17:37:00:

I'll put a link to Wai Lui's post of 2/2/03 down below. It was getting buried, so I started new up here.

Wai, I agree that moellendorffi come from a part of China that is very hot and humid. BUT...and that's a big but :) moellendorffi are normally active early in the morning, the coolest part of the day. And they may spend most of their time in caves, and other underground retreats, where temps are much cooler.

I keep my moells at about 75-82*F. during the hottest months in Michigan. I also brumate them for four months in winter, which they seem to require, at around 55-60*F. I've had them five yrs. and they're doing well. Also, in Michigan the humidity is not the same as Florida's. It only gets as high as 55% ave. in summer, and about 30% ave. in winter. The moells still survive.

I believe in Florida, those breeders would need to use air-conditioning to keep their snakes from over-heating. It would be interesting if you were having success keeping your moells at higher temps than mine. I'm not saying that's not possible.

I also agree that we need to work with wild caught snakes at times. It takes a lot of effort to start a new species or subspecies, but the rewards can be great. The person who starts with the wild caught snakes often have lots of time and money invested, however, and you know that losses can sometimes be a hardship of going that road. I do believe that we need a few wild caught animals to keep new genes flowing too.

I think it's great that you are originally from China. I hope that we can learn lots from you. Please share any experiences about your homeland with us when you get the chance, and also any pictures. I've been interested in China for many years, and have continued to learn facsinating things about it every year. It's a great country. It's amazing you have learned English so well, too. Thanks for sharing with us, Wai :)

TC

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]