kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Response to Wai's post about acclimating....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by Terry Cox on February 13, 2003 at 22:10:35:

In Reply to: Re: Response to Wai's post about acclimating.... posted by WailuiHerp on February 11, 2003 at 13:52:10:

Hi Wai,

Moellendorffi sure is an amazing species. I'd love to go with you to China some time. I hope we can have some luck breeding them this spring too.

I think the species is rather unusual in that they might breed somewhat later than most. They probably don't come out of hibernation until late April, or so, when the rainy season starts. The eggs hatch in late summer, I think, like maybe sometime in September, maybe even in October sometimes, according to what seems to be happening in captivity. We'll have to find out for sure from our observations.

The babies look like they might be capable of brumating shortly after hatching also. Just some hunches I have which may influence how I handle them.

BTW, I do spray the cages occasionally and also use large containers of water in the cages to help with humidity. I also use the humidifier at certain times. We probably agree quite a bit, except for the high temps of near 90*F. We'll have to talk about that more later. Take care,

Terry

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]