kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Even if feeding!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by Corey Sawyer on January 30, 2003 at 12:00:49:

In Reply to: Even if feeding! posted by Tribal Prop on January 29, 2003 at 20:28:12:

WC mandarina do have a very high mortality rate, but your guessof aalmost 100% is way off. We have a little less than 200 ACCLIMATED LTC adults if near 100% died, I would have to have a lot of freezers (and I only have one!), but I am not saying these are anywhere near easy, these are D*MN hard snakes to acclimate.

And you say captive born and bred are a pain? Your crazy! Captive bred mandarin are a PIECE OF CAKE!. CB can even tolerate warmer temperatues that the WC/LTC can not.

Maybe you are confusing CB mandarina with CB moellendorffi? Generally 99% of CB moellendorffi die.

Anyways, WC madnarina are extremely hard to acclimate, and only should be attempted by a well experienced keeper. Buying WC is a gamble, but people are having greater and greater luck as they try differnt ways of acclimating them, atelast we certainly are. Getting them to eat is not the hard thing, the hard thing is getting them to live after they eat. Many will puke up some "slim" and die. Think of it was vegas, but with worse odds?

In closing, if you want mandarina with little to no risk, buy Captive bred.

P.S. Chris, about acclimating Fea's vipers, give me a call and I will tell you how to go about doing it, I have had luck getting them to acclimated and consistantly feeding. I don't mind tell people how it is done.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]