kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Good story Alan . . .>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by terryp on January 27, 2003 at 09:14:27:

In Reply to: Re: Taxonomy will always be like . . . .> posted by Alan Garry on January 26, 2003 at 16:22:20:

I realize we've switched this discussion to Pituophis, but I think it's points can be trnasfered to this forum and this taxonomy thread. Bulls integrade with sonorans in the wild. This would/should align bulls with gopher snakes. This is important if we are looking at ruthveni (Louisiana Pine) and their taxonomy status. Yet, there is quite a stalemate between a several people on bulls being aligned with gophers or being aligned with pines. Terry Cox had mentioned to me that there is a "test of time" associated with taxonomy and changes. Any changes in taxonomy can change whether something is considered a cross, integrade, or hybrid. Can you imagine someone who hates hybrids suddenly finding out he/she has been producing them because there is a change in taxonomy. I know you've made several posts on this and other forums regarding taxonomy Alan and its great to keep looking at it and questioning it becasue it is very important. I never thought when I got my first snake, that it would involve something like this. lol. I was excited just to get 2 snakes to breed, drop eggs, and hatch babies. I didn't think I had to make sure their taxonomy was the same. That's why I tend to stay with common names. A bull snake is a bull snake and a cow sucker is a cow sucker. When a new paper or something comes out, all I want to know is it still a cow sucker or is it not a cow sucker. Does a bullsnake stop integrading with a sonoran gopher snake all of a sudden? That's too simple, but it makes sense to me. Good luck Alan

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]