kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I brought up the hybrid thing . . .>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by terryp on January 27, 2003 at 19:54:40:

In Reply to: Re: Hey, TP..... posted by Alan Garry on January 27, 2003 at 18:52:42:

regarding everytime there's a taxonomy change to illustrate a point. Terry Cox mentioned he is doing some breeding that may be considered as hybrids in the long run by some standards. I know you've been working with black rat snakes Alan and breeding for certain traits. In my opinion, keep doing and going for it. I still consider black rat snakes as black rat snakes. Unless they start putting distance from a locale to another locale as changing subspecies, I still consider black rat snakes as black rat snakes in their entire range and don't think of it as hybrids. Just my opinion though. Think of the people who have collected that color or pattern morph in the wild with locality data and have bred that into pure snakes. Then, later the subspecies in that area has a taxonomy change and now the snakes that were produced and we are breeding into our collections are now considered hybrids. I use the word "considered" I would think and concur that they were bred as pure and that they are pure. Otherwise, unless you find a male and female sitting next to each other, collect them, and then breed them, then there is no PURE guarantee on anything.

: You know, I can understand elaphe being changed for our North American ratsnakes since the old world snakes were named first. Like others though I am somewhat reluctant. Where I'm really feeling a sting is with the clade system that is deviding obsoleta, giving rise to spiloides and allegeniensis (please forgive spelling on that last one). I have been breeding black rats over the years mixxing all 3 clades. I now have a few hybrids by some peoples standards. I've never been in to locality except for enlarging a genepool. I tell you what. It's made for some plump hearty hatchlings. I still love these animals. I just hope I'm not the only one that does, down the road. Anyway times change. I'll try as well, but long live the black rat. Alan,

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]