kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Dumb mistake? Help me understand? (kind of long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Python Forum ]

Posted by Kestrel on May 08, 2003 at 21:35:26:

In Reply to: Dumb mistake? Help me understand? (kind of long) posted by gabered on May 08, 2003 at 20:38:59:

I personally think it could be a couple things. I have a 5ft male macklots, and even though he's never bitten or musked, he's still a bit flighty. Almost every time i handle him, he tightens around my arm defensively, like he's trying to "kill" my arm. He eventually stops when he mellows out, but it sounds like this is what yours was doing, but since you tried to pry him off, he bit out of further defense... Second idea, is if you didn't change your clothes after dealing with the feeders, the smell prolly clung to your clothing, and he was in fact mistaking you as a food item... Or it could of been a combination of both...

:Hello,
:I have a four foot male Macklot's Python that I've had for about four months. When I first got him he was a bit snappy and bit me two or three times. Since then I've been careful and very patient. He almost never stricks and hasn't bit me since the first week I had him. TOnight was different...

:I was changing his water and he came out of his hide like a hornet. I picked him up and moved him back to the other side of his cage until I finished with the water. Then I picked him up to handle him a bit since he was already out of his hide and looked active. Well, first thing he did was wrap my hand and arm up and tried to "choke" me. I thought it was really weird. Before I could pry him of (gently) he turned around and sunk his teeth into me as if trying to EAT me. Never did this before. After I got his teeth out of me and made sure he didn't break any off I put him back and he hasn't settled down since (one hour.

:Only thing I can think of is this... I had been feeding mice and rats I keep as feeders about an hour before. I thought I washed up well and after a bit I started cleaning his water tub. Do you think he thought I was prey? Maybe still had mouse sent on me?? He eats once a week two medium to large mice. His feeding day is still 2 - 3 days off. Would he be THAT hungry as to try to eat me? It wasn't a defesive quick strike that I am used to. He just turned around after strangling my arm as if to try to swallow me.

:Help me understand so I can avoid this in the future. I will not even LOOK at mice two days before I go near my snakie.

:Thanks
:Gabe

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Python Forum ]