kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Rough Skin Newt Problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Salamander and Newt Forum ]

Posted by EdK on May 01, 2003 at 19:46:14:

In Reply to: Rough Skin Newt Problem posted by axanthus on May 01, 2003 at 17:40:52:

If you read the entire section of the book discussing reproductive disorders (page 296-297, 22.8 Reproductive disorders) all of the animals under discussion are anurans, there is no mention of Caudata or Gymnophiona in the examples given. Also I am unaware of any cases of this occuring in either of those two groups of amphibians.
I will e-mail Kevin (Wright) and ask him if he knows of any examples in caudates (I worked for him for over seven years).
Clinical depression is generally used as a catch all phrase when an animal is doing poorly and has symptoms that could be from a wide variety of causes.
Ed

:Actually, there are problems that can cause egg retention, which can lead to further problems. Egg retention occurs when maturing ova become lodged in the oviduct while the remainder of the egg mass is held within the ovisac. This can result in ovarian cysts, leading further to the liberation of toxins and the displacement of organs causing clinical depression, dehydration, septicemia, shock, and disseminated intravascular coagulation. (Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry, Wright and Whitaker).

:However, I doubt that's what the problem is. Bacterial infections, such as those from Hydrophila spp., have been known to cause paralysis in amphibians in advanced cases. I would suggest you replace the contents of the home with new, clean materials. You can also quarantine him on damp, bleach-free paper towls (7th generation recyled are good) if you think the problem is life threatening. Bacteria can live in soil, as well as water.

:Jessica

:

::Hmmm...that's a curious thing for that article to say. Egg retention is never a problem in caudates, they are simply reabsorbed. Your problem sounds more like an infection or an internal injury.

:

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Salamander and Newt Forum ]