kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: European watersnakes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]

Posted by Jan Grathwohl on January 15, 2003 at 17:18:52:

In Reply to: Re: European watersnakes posted by michael56 on January 14, 2003 at 13:01:30:

Hi Michael

Thanx for charing your info.

In fact most Natrix-species are more commonly sold here in europe, than Nerodia... which off course also seems logic... but not many people are working with them unfortunately.

In my group of friends I know only one breeding maura (the german guy, im getting my juveniles from)... the other species are often seen at expos... and from time to time, somebody buys them.... I just heard, that the pair I was getting of helvetica, is now down to only a single animal... which is quite a shame... but I hope to find a partner for it in the Marz Expo in Germany.

Russian Natrix natrix are also often sold, so maybe I should be on the look out for some of those.... and tessellata, seems to be available to.

Maybe It would be of interest in time to exchange some European Natrix babies for North American Nerodia's?

Regards

Jan Grathwohl

: Hello Jan, I was curious as to who would be the first to post on the forum in the new year and there you are ... European water snakes!! I raised natrix natrix,helvitica and caught maura in the late '60s and early '70s. Ever since I have been trying to find where I can aquire them again and have had no success.
: In general their needs are very simple. Maura tend to be much more aquatic than helvitica. Maura and tesselata are very similar in this way. Each can have a water dish large enough to soak in but maura will not be "happy" without more water area.
: Temperature requirements are identical to most nerodia (for maura and helvitica) as they come from warmer climates than natrix natrix. I'm referring to "Big Brother" USA water snakes like pictiventris which like about 25-32C.
: Maura basically eat fish, helvitica like amphibians but mine took fish no problem.
: As for pictures ... Pierson is going to beat me up for this but, I don't have any out there YET! I will, honest, soon, I hope.
: By the way, there is a guy in Croatia working with the species you're getting (on the web I search N. maura) to find him. He has some great photos.
: Please keep in touch.
: Michael

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Water Snake Forum ]