kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

my black milksnakes feeding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]

Posted by SNAKESDJF on April 23, 2003 at 00:23:44:

In Reply to: black milk feeding schedule posted by ballyhoo1887 on April 21, 2003 at 20:52:30:

i have a trio of 2001 Black Milksnakes who are now completely Black. i feed them one good size rat or 2 mice a week. from what i hear for Black Milksnakes it is best not to overfeed them. they tend to easily become Obese. they say in some literature to feed them a rat every two weeks. i was also told that it takes a little longer for them to digest there food items than other species of Milksnakes and kingsnakes because they because they are from a cooler climate in the mountains of costa rica. you also don not want to give them a to large of a food item because its a little more stressful for the snake to digest. good luck dave

:Hello all. I was wondering how often to feed adult black milks, how much, and what size. I have read from the VPI black milk care sheet that they have jaws that are "deceptively long" and are capable of stretching to engulf a medium rat, (a 6 ft + snake). Is this true? The picture of the black milk milk below is of a very muscular, healthy-looking snake. What kind of feeding regimen is it on? I've been getting mixed reviews, and I thought I'd ask from someone with a good looking snake! BTW, my buddy has a couple of frozen corn snakes that he's going to trash unless he can find someone to take them. Would it be safe to feed to my snake? I read some guy preaching about how you should feed reptiles to reptile-eating snakes. I don't necessarily agree with that, but since the snakes are frozen, plus they were captive-bred to begin with, would it be safe? Might be a nice treat considering most lampropeltis love other snakes as food. The snakes died of heat loss during a ice storm. Thanks for your help,

:-Mack

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Milk Snake Forum ]