kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Just out of curiosity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]

Posted by WildCrotalus on October 29, 2002 at 05:08:14:

In Reply to: Just out of curiosity posted by Lyle on October 26, 2002 at 03:41:31:

There are many aspects to self-regulation but it pretty much boils down to responsible keeping. Rare cases of mauling are becoming less rare.

In some cases people that obtain animals that they cannot house have the animals escape, set free, put down or try to find someone to take them who can take them. Same pretty much applies to feeding the animals once they get bigger and need more food.

Point is that if self regulation (or folks practicing responsible keeping) was working, then there would be less ammo for the tree enviro crazies to use.

Be mindful I am not just directing this towards large dangerous exotics but all of the “alternative pets” as some of the folks call them.

A large cat escapes and is recaptured (or a wild one such as a cougar sited) will make the front page of the paper and the news where as the kid who was mauled by a pit bull (or other “non exotic” dog) will be buried on the back page somewhere if it makes it in the paper at all. Well come to think of it, the kids arrested for selling crack and jacking up Granny would be buried too.

The worst part of it all is how the general public views things they do not, or care, to understand. I am afraid that in most cases perception is reality. Rats carry the plague, armadillos-leprosy, bats-rabies, and reptiles-salmonella. Homosexuals have AIDS, marijuana is harmless, Ford Explorers have bad tires, politicians are crooked, ……..ect....ect….ect…. Of course people educated on the subject matter know better than to believe stereotypes, but to those that aren’t (for whatever reason) perception is reality.

But hey, this is just my perception.

:O) Dave

:"Apparently self-regulation is not working, but a total ban is not the answer either."

:I've been hearing that a lot, but I'm not sure why. Would you, or anyone here, care to explain what's happened that might lead one to believe that self-regulation isn't working? Now I'm not asking you to cite rare cases of maulings, what I would like to know is if there's some trend that has caused concern enough to impose strict regulations on the hobby.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Law Forum ]