kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Lack of Activity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by GregH on April 01, 2003 at 10:35:26:

Hi All,

I have a question about my 9 month old male Indigo. In the past 2 months I posted that his blue cycle seemed to be lasting WAY too long. The common consensus was to increase the temps. This I did (one side around 70 and the other side around 75-80). Since then his shedding cycle has decreased in amount of time and he is eating pretty well also. So it seems that the increase in temps helped with this issue.

But one thing I have noticed in the past 3 or so weeks is that he is not active at all anymore. When I feed him, the mouse will lay in there for 30-45 minutes or so and he won't even bother. The last several times I have had to literally get in his cage and remove him from his hide so that he knows there is actually food laying in the cage. This actually seems to be working to get him to eat because once I leave him and come back within 15 minutes or so the mouse is gone. So, as everyone keeps talking about these guys being SO ACTIVE, is my snake going against the grain of the Indigo? Is this normal for a 9 month old Indigo? He doesn't come out of his hide at all except to peek his head out on occasion. He is also extremely nervous still at this point, which I expected to change by now. Dan Felice once told me not to tip-toe around my snake but if I don't I would never see him.

One more thing, I haven't handled him a whole lot, should I maybe handle him more often to get him less nervous? How often should I handle him?

Thanks for any tips,

Greg

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]