kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Off topic, or perhaps not re: introductions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by TexIndigo Gal on March 18, 2003 at 20:36:53:

I have posted this question in four other forums already, and have received a grand total of 1 (one, uno, un) response.

There are caresheets a-plenty for every species known (and some known only to the poser), but if there exists a general guide for handling new acquisitions to an existing collection, I haven't found it. Some of these issues I’m very familiar with, thanks mostly to following this forum for the last year or so, but I’ve never seen the information gathered together in a useful format in one place. If this guide exists, please point me to it.

Otherwise, I bow at your collective feet in obeisance to your superior experience (if not your sometimes-dubious wisdom) and request that you share same with me. I will be glad to consolidate your responses into a unified whole. Provide me email addresses and I will submit drafts to you for review for accuracy. The finished product will bear the names of contributors as the authors, and I will be the editor or compiler, depending on how much synthesis is required. It could be posted on indigosnakes.com or tossed into the circular file, as you deem appropriate.

I’m happy to provide my CV to anyone with concerns about my ability to take on this task.

My concern is this: sooner or later a second herp comes into the home, and Lo, And Behold, a Collection exists.

What are the prudent steps to take with the new herp (either wild caught or bought) to insure that neither parasite nor disease enters with the newbie?

Since no one (almost) on the other forums saw fit to respond to me, let’s only talk about snakes, particularly the Drymarchons.

1) How do I evaluate the health of the new animal?
2) What are the common parasites?
3) What do I look for as evidence of parasites?
3) How do I eradicate parasites?
4) What kind of complications should I be alert for when treating for a given type of parasite?
5) What are other health concerns to be aware of?
6) Which ones require immediate attention?
7) How do I decide what I can do vs. what should be done by a veterinarian?
8) Detail things that a (intermediate experienced) owner can do at home
9) Explain quarantine –why, how, where, when, how long?
10) What are the other factors that I’ve omitted mentioning in the above list?

Again, if there’s already a resource for this stuff, tell me where to find it, and I’ll shut up, and save myself a lot of time and energy. I wish I had archived every thread that discussed any of these things here, but I haven’t.

Beatrice
Broiling already in Stink Petersburg, FL

BTW, I just took anniversary pics of my Tex, should be able to post “then vs. now” as soon as the film comes back on CD.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]