kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Keeled scales n'...cribos...err no...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by regalringneck on February 01, 2003 at 14:27:39:

In Reply to: Re: Keeled scales in males.....How about cribos? posted by tvandeventer on February 01, 2003 at 06:38:08:

Takes more n' a few keeled scales to get spps. seperation criteria outta me. Im still old fashioned & prefer reproductive isolating mechanisms & allopatry [w/ the redchins I admit you have had the latter for apparently the last 2500-7500 years...]
FTR: mojo @ ~ 5.5' has no keeled scales but he does want you all to know....he did keelhaul his 1st live rat this weekend, what a fun time he had, but the poor rat...not!
Nice macro photo on the part of the redgarter, but where on the body does one examine?????
Why prey-tell would a fellow go 20 odd yrs w/o a guardian? Must have to do w/ a woman.... somehow!
C&B;jg

:: Well Dean, you took so much time to follow up on one of your earlier posts that I went ahead and did it for ya! ;-)

::So, what's this about keeled scale dimorphism in indigos? I had never noticed myself before you brought it up, and had never heard of such a phenomenon in any snake species either. Do you know of any others, and is there anything in the litterature about it, or were your the first guy to notice this intriguing difference in the sexes?

:: I think this topic was brought up in the past, but I wasn't a forum visitor when it happened probably, so would appreciate some info.

::Dr. Phil

:

:Hi Guys,

:I've been aware of the keeled scales on eastern indigos for many years, although I never made the association as to whether they occured on males or females or both. After twenty years of being indigo-less, I received a 6' blacktail this very week. Just went and checked - no keels whatsoever. Y'all check your various cribos and report back. If easterns are the only ones that have keels, this may be just one more little morphological feature pointing to Drymarchon couperi as a full species.

:Cheers, Terry Vandeventer
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]