kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Unsolicited, but free, advice for the newer herper...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]

Posted by Rob Carmichael on January 29, 2003 at 07:20:51:

In Reply to: Unsolicited, but free, advice for the newer herper... posted by stevebinnig on January 26, 2003 at 19:34:02:

I agree with Steve. Since I know Steve is in the "zoo business" (and I used to be), I think he will agree with me in that it is too bad that some (perhaps many) zoo personnel who work with herps sorely lack good husbandry skills and good communication skills and an openness to answer questions from the "common folk". Although some zoos, such as Philadelphia, have some very experienced and knowledgeable people, I have found that this is more of the exception rather than the norm....hopefully, we'll get things to swing the other way. There are MANY private breeders/hobbyists/professionals who have been around for many years who are VERY open towards helping first time herpers (and I continue to tap them for information)....but it takes initiative on the part of the newbie to call, email and be persistent (without being a pain!). I know that much of my success as a herpetologist is owed towards professional herpetologists who really shaped my way of thinking as a youth (one that comes to mind is Dr. Michael Corn who was my college professor for zoology and a well respected herpetologist). Ray Pawley, former curator at Lincoln Park and Brookfield Zoo is another person I HIGHLY respect in the field because he was meticulous to detail and knew how important it was to develop an instinct for working with herps.

:Get out while you still can! Just kidding. I just wanted to say that if you are new in the game, don't be afraid to ask guys who are old heads to help you probe or medicate.In the 70's,John Brunner, one of herpetoculture's true pioneers, took me under his wing. Later on, Jim Merli taught me to probe and pop snakes.I felt dependent on their skills, but learned for myself in no time. Unless you live in a very remote area, help is there for the asking. Don't be embarrassed, or shy, and have to struggle unnecessarily.
:Steve B.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Indigo Snake Forum ]