kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

a few tricks...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by nate351 on May 08, 2003 at 21:04:58:

In Reply to: calming down Irish posted by kg on May 08, 2003 at 17:04:03:

One I learned with my iguanas and have since applied to my sugar gliders: when they are eyeing something to jump to, spin in a circle, or keep moving. This disorients them for a second, and they decide not to jump. This also works if he is climbing down your back to go for a stroll. Since igs like to be up high in order to feel secure (hence his love for your head), spinning in a circle will make him return to your shoulders or head rather than jump or climb down.

Also, if the little bugger is too fast to catch while running at Mach 3 accross the carpet, chase him into the kitchen or bathroom. It is sort of funny to see them try to run on linoleum - sort of like me trying to run on ice. The faster he runs, the slower he goes as he has no traction. this will enable you to catch him. I have found that scrambling on the linoleum stresses them as they don't like the inability to move, so if you step in front of them, the grab purchace on your pant legs, and climb back up. Good way to condition them to be comfortable with you.

Just a thought.
nate.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]