kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Answers - LONG

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by AlliMarie on April 14, 2003 at 13:07:42:

In Reply to: Iguanas, Boa constrictors, and QUESTIONS.... posted by Bammer on April 14, 2003 at 00:54:19:

Wow! I wish more people had the common sense to research so thoroughly! You are to be commended for your consideration of both the animals you already own and those you wish to acquire. Okay, now that I've done my due praise, here's your answers. ;p
As said before, you are right on with a little ig being intimidated by your boas. It would probably be okay to house them in the same room, so long as they don't see each other EVER, like put a sheet or something between them. However, It's always a good idea to quarantine your new ig, or any new resident for that matter, in a separate room (your room would probably work okay) from your reptile room, just as a precaution. Females usually stay a bit smaller, 4-5ft, but it's not unheard of to have a female reach the 6ft mark. It's all dependent on how well nourished they are, the individual ig... And for an adult ig, those cage dimensions would be fine. Just make sure you handle her plenty, let her roam outside her cage. Her temperment will be largely based on how comfortable she is with you, which will be dependent on how often you handle her, and how comfortable you are with her. Taming babies can take a long while, so look around, get a healthy baby, and try to find one that's already got some manners. I.E. May gape, but not a ready biter. May puff up and hiss, but doesn't tail whip. This will help in the taming area. As for getting a female... Your chances are kind of slim that you'll find a female on purpose if you go to a pet store. Babies up to the 2ft range are nearly impossible to sex properly, and it can be damaging to try to probe them. If you're looking specifically for a female, I would try contacting rescue groups first. They've usually got juvie igs that need homes, and as long as they're not too big yet, most are okay to ship. I actually belong to a rescue organization, All-Species-Reptile-Rescue. If you like, you can contact us, fill out an application, and we can help you to find that perfect ig. :)
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/ASRCommunity
I hope some of this helps you!
Alli

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]