kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hybrid hognoses?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by rudedogsurfrat on November 24, 2002 at 18:32:03:

In Reply to: Re: Hybrid hognoses? posted by CulebraOnna on November 24, 2002 at 17:35:04:

::Yes Andy, I've heard the rumor that they can convert. Unfortunately I bought a trio from the classifieds here from a breeder who claimed they were on "scented pinkies". That is the only reason why I bought them because I live in southern california where we have no toads. They were all just starving to death regardless of the scenting techniques I've used (I've used them all". So I had to force feed them and the weakest one died yesterday. My western hog is growing like a weed. I figure if they are all the same size one can't eat the other. Sound right?

::Rudy
:::

::
::

:
:First off, you mentioned that they're all housed together and that they're not eating? Separate them. Doing that will help them adjust, lessen the stress, and possibly even start eating again.
:Second, yes, snakes the same size can and will eat each other. If one tries to eat the other, typically both of the snakes die. Pop over to the corn forum and ask Clint Boyer to post that motley pic of his, to see what I mean. That time, I believe the hungry one did survive.

Was it swallowing or constricting the snake its own size.
Also to clarify things, the western eats like a pig and the two easterns have eaten toad pieces that are NOT readily available in Southern California.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]