kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Thats why I am asking

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by kwdnobull on April 04, 2003 at 20:01:10:

In Reply to: Thats why I am asking posted by puddingskin on March 31, 2003 at 22:45:24:

:I completely understand the special requirements of them. As far as the conservation issue, I said originally I would prefer captive bred. So if you know of a breeder, I would be interested. Also you said that being in Wisconsin would make it harder, I was curious as to how. Well thanks for more input, but also if you could give me tips on care I would appreciate it. Thanks alot.

I was knew to the subject of care of captive horny toads (sic) also. But all the knowledge you need is buried in this forum. With all the reptile exp. that you say you have, you will find this critter extremelly enjoyable. I have found it very easy...it ain't rocket science. It may help that I live in their natural environment to. All the food they eat is found here naturally. If it stings or bites they will eat it...if it does both they like it even more. I'll catch spike goin' nuts looking at a flying insect on the window, throw it in his home, he gobbles it up and I add one more item to the consumables list. The only problem I have faced is waiting for the ants (number one staple) to come out of hibernation. I have tried store bought grub (meal and wax worms) with no success. Spike will eat anywhere from 60 to 100 ants per day, it is a fun and continuous project for my kids and myself collecting ants. We usually collect a couple hundred at a time and keep them in a small tupperware type container with some moist dirt and a piece of fruit or bread...whatever is lying around for food. I feed them to Spike approx. 20 at a time untill he gets less aggresive eating them and leaves a couple for dessert!!! As far as the ants escaping...I have Spikes home inside my house where we all enjoy and learn about him. I catch harvester ants which do not seem inclined or able to climb slick (glass or plastic) surfaces. And by feeding only the amount that he eats at one time prevents their escaping. I have some extraordinary video of spike that I will post or link when I figure out how...any tips appreciated...

Good Luck

Kenny

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]