kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Are you sure about the sexes?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by Tenaka on April 08, 2003 at 12:55:59:

In Reply to: Are you sure about the sexes? posted by chrish on April 08, 2003 at 00:47:23:

thanks chrish for the info

Lol I did used to be pretty afraid that I had my sexes wrong but the big guys tail is around 5 inches long and theres no dip behind the vent, but the female when I got her fixed those fears because her tail is a tiny litttle stub relative to the big guys hers is around 2 inches long, I suppose its always possible that I have the sex wrong still, but if the tail comparison is pretty near foolproof then a tail length of 20% or so of body length should be pretty conclusive.

I was just wondering if the female would have a final growth spurt in her third year or maybe later in this one seems she still has a bit of growing to do :)and also wondering if theres anybody who like me bought an adult male from a petshop and had him grow fifty percent larger.
I had a look through the forum archives but didnt see anything and decided to ask, I am hoping to breed eventually and the big guys just adorable not as feisty as the female I got as a neonate but a lot more timid.

danny

:I've never heard of a 27 inch male nasicus, but I guess that could be possible. Female regularly get over this size, males rarely do, in my experience.

:Platt found that males (in the wild) were around 4 years of age were around 20 inches long at best (and growing 7 mm month). That would put a 5 year old male at around 23 inches. It would probably take another 2-3 years to reach 27 inches, if it ever did.

:Also, the growth spurt of your snake also is more typical of a female reaching sexual maturity. Males tend to grow at a slower more continual rate. Here is some data for my hogs. They were wild caught as one or two year olds. Notice they stayed about the same size for the first year or so, then the female took off (the top, black line is the female, the bottom gray line the male). This is fairly typical, in my experience.

:

:As to your 21 month old, 18" snake, this also sounds more like a female to me. Check their tails, their should be an obvious difference in tail length. An 18 inch male would have a tail that would be as long as or longer than a 27 inch female. A 27 inch male's tail would probably be twice the length of an 18 inch female's tail.

:A more useful thing to measure would be the tail:total length ratio. For comparison, here are some comparisons in my snakes -
:25 inch female (250 g) - 2.5 inch tail (tail = 10% total length)
:18 inch male (90 g) - 3.5 inch tail (tail = 19% total length)
:12 inch male (26 g) - 2.5 inch tail (tail = 20% total length)

:So my males' tails (sorry!) are twice as long (relative to body length) as the female's.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]