kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hogs are Pigs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by snakeguy88 on March 16, 2003 at 14:10:48:

In Reply to: Hogs are Pigs posted by shad925 on March 16, 2003 at 12:20:01:

Do not be fooled. If a nice size hog accidently latches on and lets you chew, you can receive a bite you would not expect. I remember there is a thread floating around about a guy who was bitten out of feeding response and allowed to hog to continue to try to swallow his finger. His hand was EXTREMELY swollen. Hognose get very defensive. Their "venom" is only used to consumption and they are not exactly the fastest snake in the world. Therefore, the hog will act defensive, flattening out its neck, hissing, playing dead, producing blood from its cloaca and gum line, as well as mock strikes and tail rattling. As you can tell, they are a fat little snake and I have seen juveniles that have been attacked by raccoons or such...they have a very nice number of scars and I even found one where the whole tail up to the cloaca was torn off (the snake never produced feces and died about a month later, presumbaly from stress as it was a reasonably fat hog). So if you see that they are an easy target, intimidation is a key factor in repelling and escaping larger predatory consumers. I would never really try to pull a pink out of a hogs mouth...just about all of my snakes that do grab a mouse midbody WILL reposition the mouse and walk along the body to its head or rump (in pinks, the snakes usually do not seem to care which end goes first). Have you tried frozen thawed? It cuts out a lot of the hassle. And with the tegu, an animal not eating after you receive is very standard and about 1 out of 3 animals I get are basically nonfeeders from anywhere from a few days to even a few months. Andy

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]