kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Neonates or yearings look cinctum but will eventually......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by Jeff on July 04, 2002 at 23:04:12:

In Reply to: OK a question for both Kerry and Jeff............................ posted by Kevin Earley on July 04, 2002 at 21:51:05:

loose that distinct pattern(suspectum). Both animals that are pictured are yearlings. Will the pattern become obscure? Maybe or maybe not. I have seen both patterns here.

: I didn't notice until I looked at Jeff's post again and examined the pictures, that there was a link to the Phoenix Herpetological Society. So now I am guesing that this gilas are from the general vacinity after Kerry's post (Maricopa county area).

: Ok so now when you compare that with the "range map" I know that that area is considered suspectum range.

: Now say the scenario is repeated and we didn't have the clue to area of where the place of origin of these gilas was. For example say Jeff didn't say where they were observed or we didn't assume they were in the general vacinity of where he lives for example.

: If you were just looking at the pictures and you didn't know the poster or where they were taken at and they just said "Hey found this gila". Now that you have this scenario pictured basically no local data just a photograph..............how would you know that they were suspectum.
: I think I am just fueling Kerry's fire but come on lets be realistic you wouldn't know for a fact by any conventional method that I have read about, but once again I must stress that I am not an acedemic or taxonimist, just a curious mind...

:
:

: This gila has a lot of what I would assume are cinctum characteristics and if not for the local information I don't think it is blatently obvious that it is actually suspectum.

: I see even more so now with Jeff's examples here that it is very confusing to base it on pattern alone.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]