kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I don't know but they'll more than likely.................

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by Kevin Earley on June 17, 2002 at 23:10:21:

In Reply to: Will Midwest's heavy duty gloves stop gila teeth? np posted by Andy on June 17, 2002 at 14:09:24:

stop any and all venom from entering the wound. And that is by far the important part. Since Heloderma do not have hollow teeth that inject venom like a syringe as in snakes. The venom is spread through capillary action of the venom seeping into the wound. I would imagine, and this is surely a guess on my part, that even if the teeth did puncture the gloves that little to no venom would be introduced into the wound because it would actually act like a barrier so that the venom would not readily enter the wound. I would also imagine that it would depend on how long the gila or beaded was attached to the gloved hand. The longer it remains clamped the more it will salivate making it a possibility. I have seen gila teeth up close but not beadeds but would suspect that they aren't much different possibly a little in length. Depending on how thick these gloves are (I have no idea)the teeth may not penetrate deep enough and you may actually be able to slip your hand out of the glove. Although gilas do have one heck of a bite force and the pressure alone may not make that possible. Once again a speculation.

Above all I know they would be better than the protection you get from a bare hand.

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]